Unfortunately Intel does not support Microsoft Windows Server 2012 for its Gigabit LAN i217-v series. But i figured out how to use the Windows 8 drivers instead which seem to be fully compatible. This should also work with Windows Server 2012 R2 – I ll update this post as soon as i tested it.
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP Rev. 1.0
Onboard Gbit Ethernet: intel i217v
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard Edition
- Download the intel driver package from gigabayte. (Choose the Package for Windows8)
- Extract the driver package and navigate to folder PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS63
- Open file e1d63x64.inf in a text editor
- Delete or comment out the lines between [ControlFlags] and [Intel]
- Copy the lines starting with %E153BNC from section [Intel.NTamd184.108.40.206] to section [Intel.NTamd64.6.2]. 6.2.1 equals Windows8 and 6.2 equals Server 2012!
12345%E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B.6.2.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B%E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = E153B.6.2.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B&SUBSYS_00008086%E153BNC.DeviceDesc% = aE153B.6.2.1, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153B&SUBSYS_00011179
- Reboot your System and Press F8 while it is booting and select “disable driver signature enforcement”.
- Open the Windows Device Manager and search for the Driver on your Harddisk.
Here a screenshot of how the edited file should look like: